11/07/2010

Weekend woman's hour/'mantenatal'

Just thought I would share this Radio4 segment regarding men, mantenatal classes and labour.

I have always thought that childbirth and its options should be discussed equally between man and woman, and where possible the man should support the woman (should she want him to) during the labour. But this segment offers some food for thought for the counter argument. Things I have never really considered before.

I know when the big day comes I am going to feel terribly vulnerable, I assumed my partner being there would make it better, not worse. Upon hearing the potential negatives of him being there, I think we will have to discuss it a bit more probably with the midwife. I do want my Richard along side me, I am concerned about the repercussions of what may happen... May his presence make me more prone to worry or become upset? Will he still be able to see me in the same way afterwards? Will I become worried about my interactions/appearance and begin to panic? Would I be calmer without him and with another female? And then there is the poo problem! Ack! - I suppose this is the argument to have a Doula, but i'm not really into all that hippy stuff!

Eak.

1 comment:

  1. David would be a good person to speak to about this. He is the most squeamish person alive, but was fine during my labour - by the time it kicked off properly, I didn't have time/energy to think or worry about him, I just wanted him to hold my gas & air pipe!

    He found it hard work emotionally but I am very vey glad he was there, as I passed out after Alex was born and David had an hour of skin-to-skin cuddles with him while I slept.

    I've told him he doesn't have to come along to hospital for this one if he doesn't want to, but I think he's grimly fascinated actually...

    ReplyDelete