14/09/2010

The attack of the killer pram! - Parenthood and artistry

I am not exactly the Guardians biggest fan, so I was pleasently surprised to see this article passed onto me by my partner. It's a refreshing piece discussing the realities of making it in the art world after becoming a parent. The article is written by novelist Frank Cottrell Boyce, so obviously its about writing in particular, but the same principles can be translated to all the arts, or even an attitude to life as a nervous parent.
In my household me and my partner both work in creative fields, to work nine to five to fund our lifestyles would feel like more or less giving up... Giving in and by our standards, we would be failing a inspirational good role models for our little un'.
Richard (understandably) wants to support me and our child, to provide for us without worry. I, would also like those things, but only under certain circumstances. Echoing the role Cottrel's wife, I also have only ever wanted my partner to write. For him to make a living from it, anything else is secondary to the bigger picture. I would not be happy to either of us to lose sight of our ambitions, and if we were to what kind of example would that set for our child? In addition to this I think to create and explore new ideas/places with my child strapped onto my partners back would make a wonderful reality for the person-to-be.
The child's presence I believe will encourage us to take our professions more seriously, as I am not only working for me now. We're working for the entire unit. It's going to be incredably hard, but hey, what other choices do we have?


(Pictured above: Artist Barbara Hepworth with child Paul, 1929)

No comments:

Post a Comment