13/04/2010

Morning sickness eats and treats.

I know that morning sickness, cravings and aversions vary from women to women, but there are also some foods that many groups of pregnant women seem to swear by.
Here are a few things that I have found helpful.
Some of these are not good for you, the morning sickness foods suggested in magazines I find are always a bit too rich or just made out of things I wouldn't possibly be able to keep down.
Eating rich foods that you can't keep down out of guilt is not going going to work, it is not a sustainable method of coping, don't be really hard on yourself, try to do your best, but if you know that organic 3 of your 5 a day will probably come back up try and buy something a bit more bland. Being realistic is more healthy for you and baby.

Some bits and bobs:
Apple Nutigrain bars, have a far of these in my handbag, strawberry ones make me feel queasy but the apple ones hit the spot.

Bananas, eat slowly as they can be quite rich, I pull them apart so that I eat them in smaller chunks. Another good handbag fix also low release sugars to help with fatigue.

Honey on toast, no butter a thin layer of runny honey, this helps with the gurgling, bubbling sensations in your tummy. Dry toast with a little bit of anything can save the day.


Pineapple chunks, from a tin preferred, I went out and purchased some from a deli part in a supermarket and it tasted really strongly of chemicals and the texture was really hard. Pineapple from a tin is easy to eat and soft, not to mention cheap to buy and store. If you mix it up with another1 or 2 fruits you feel you can keep down you could have a cheap fruit salad for you and the family (or for your friends).

Pink and white wafers -Don't ask me how, but without these I wouldn't have been able to cope. Sweet and bland. Also, very cheap. Good if you are sick of eating dry crackers and rice-cakes.

Photobucket

Lucozade, the sugar fix really helps with the fatigue, gives a much needed boost after vomiting.
Please try to combine this with drinking water, Lucozade alone isn't going to be good for you or baby.

Tuna sandwiches, again no butter and especially no mayo, even typing the word it is something me and my tummy are regretting. Corned beef and peanut butter can work too. Just keep it all separate ladies...

Cherry bake-wells, they are sweet enough to go down quite well, flavoursome to the pallet without being too rich and the crust dry to settle the stomach. I often have two for breakfast.


Petit Filous, lovely, healthy, cooling and not too rich. Yum.

Cottage pie, roast dinners, vegetable stews, etc. Okay, these foods appear to be quite rich, but I have found potatoes and carrots are quite successful in staying down. Most vegetables which are boiled or plainly baked seems to add a bit of weight to your meal making it harder to come back up. Just make sure your gravy isn't wine based or overtly saucy as it may undo the hard work. Make sure you cut the veg chunkier than usual, if you don't like your veg over cook it slightly. Bigger chunks of veg are better for you and they will be more likely to stay down.

Photobucket

Best to avoid spreads sauces and milk when at all possible. This sadly includes tea, one of my big joys in life; I have switched to light herbal teas (or on a bad day just boiled water adding a little cinnamon to help with the digestion.)

...

Also even with the blandest foods try and find the right antacid for you, the one you can stomach the most. They can potential save an evening's meal and subsequently an evening's energy.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't get enough of Nairn fruit oatcakes. I don't know if they are just a Scottish thing but they are more like biscuits then oatcakes and have a lovely flavour with little bits of red fruit baked into them. They're bland enough that your tummy is happy but still really tasty. You usually find them in the cracker/healthy snack section of a supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milk is practically all I drink. Chocolate or banana especially! I've completley gone off all hot drinks now. I'll be 10 weeks tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete